Walk 40 - Abstracting The Landscape Around Durleighmarsh - An Art Walk
DATE: Saturday 29 July 2023
START LOCATION: The Courtyard Gallery, Durleighmarsh Farm.
POST CODE: GU31 5AX
DURATION: 2 hours 30
Artist Barbara Morton of the Courtyard Gallery at Durleighmarsh Farm will lead a short walk behind the farm in the direction of Durford Woods, to find a spot to inspire a session learning how to abstract the landscape. Abstraction is Barbara’s passion. It is the space left for the viewer to construct their understanding of the painting and emotional connection to it.
During this walk/art session you will learn:
- Approaches to abstraction
- Techniques for abstracting
- Guided exercises
- Sketching and editing
Materials are not included so you will need to bring:
- A sheet of stiff cardboard (amazon packaging is ideal) which is a bit bigger than A3 paper. This is to lean against. Barbara clips her paper to the cardboard with bulldog clips and folds it in half to put it in her rucksack.
- Masking tape
- At least 4 sheets of heavy cartridge paper – 240 gsm and above – A3 size
- Charcoal, pencils, posco pens – any of these for sketching
- Baby wipes to clean your hands after sketching
- Fixative for charcoal – available from art shops/hobbycraft
Barbara Whitbourn is an award winning semi-abstract artist who has studied at Newlyn Art School in Cornwall. Abstraction is a passion for her, the space left for the viewer to construct their understanding of the painting and emotional connection to it. Her love of rusting metals, erosion and the built environment have led her into post industrial abstracted landscapes . She runs courses on abstracting the landscape locally.
Her website has more about her background and courses with testimonials