Walk 55 - War Footing
DATE: Saturday 25 November
TIME: 9.13 train from Petersfield (9.23 Rowlands Castle)
START LOCATION: Petersfield/Rowlands Castle
- FINISH: 3 Horseshoes Pub Elsted
DISTANCE: 9.5 miles
DURATION: 5 hours
As Armistice approaches, it’s time to explore the Western Weald’s connection to war. For a woman I am perhaps a little odd, as I have always been fascinated by war. It all began with Pol Pot and the Killing Fields of Cambodia. This led me to study Strategic Studies (of the military kind not business) & work as a Political Risk Analyst.
Although our countryside may appear the epitome of peace and tranquility, evidence of past conflict is unfortunately all around. Given our area’s naval connection, this walk will follow some of the old Telegraph Line which once linked Portsmouth to the Admiralty in London.
- This is a linear walk from Rowlands Castle to the 3 Horseshoes Pub in Elsted.
- We will stop for lunch in Compton where there is a village shop/tea room (with toilet) that sells food & hot drinks. There is also space outside to eat picnics.
- You are welcome to meet us in Rowlands Castle or take the train from Petersfield.
- We will organise cars for lift shares to/from Elsted at the start/end of the walk.
Malinka from Rural Strides is a co-organiser of the walking festival. Rural Strides was set up to promote the beauty and variety of the local Weald and Downland area, as a walking destination close to London. With a wealth of knowledge of local routes, hidden gems and where to find nature at its best in every season, Rural Strides is your ideal walking companion for the Hampshire/West Sussex borderlands.